Scott Pruitt, Donald Trumpâ€™s nominee for Environmental Protection Agency administrator, is literally one of the last people on Earth who should be put in charge of protecting the environment.
Heâ€™s a radical climate-change denier who has repeatedly sued the EPA to block the Obama administrationâ€™s life-saving clear air and climate rules.
Pruittâ€™s confirmation hearings are expected to start any day now. We need to make sure Senate Democrats stand together and stand strong to stop a climate change denier with deep ties to the fossil fuel industry from taking over the Environmental Protection Agency.
Confirming Pruitt as EPA Administrator would be a nightmare scenario for the people and the planet. Throughout his six years as Oklahoma attorney general Pruitt has repeatedly used his role to do the bidding of Big Oil and other major polluters. Here are just a few of the reasons Pruitt is unqualified to run the EPA:
- Pruitt sued the EPA to block environmental rules: Pruitt has repeatedly sued the Environmental Protection Agency to stop environmental regulations that are at the core of the EPAâ€™s mission from taking effect, including rules to slash carbon pollution from power plants, protect children from toxic mercury pollution, reduce air pollution near our national parks and clean up Americaâ€™s polluted waterways.1
- Pruitt sent letters to the EPA on behalf of big polluters: In 2011, just after he entered office as Oklahoma attorney general, Pruitt sent a letter to the EPA that was actually written by lawyers for Devon Energy, one of the biggest oil and gas companies in Oklahoma. In the letter, Pruitt protested EPAâ€™s plans to study the impact of fracking â€“ just as fracking induced earthquakes were rocking Oklahoma.2 The letter was personally given to Pruitt by Devonâ€™s top lobbyist, and Pruitt reportedly â€ścopied it onto state government stationery with only a few word changes, and sent it to Washington with the attorney generalâ€™s signature.â€ť3
- Pruittâ€™s campaigns were funded by the fossil fuel industry: Pruitt has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the fossil fuel industry. In fact, his list of campaign contributors is essentially a "whoâ€™s who" of big polluters, including Koch Industries, PACs connected to Exxon Mobil, Alpha Natural Resources, the Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association, the American Gas Association, oil magnate Harold Hamm, Peabody Energy and Southern Company.4
- Pruitt falsely claimed climate science is â€śfar from settledâ€ť: In a May 2016 op-ed for National Review, Pruitt claimed that the â€śdebateâ€ť over climate science is â€śfar from settled.â€ť He went on to write that â€śscientists continue to disagree about the degree and extent of global warming and its connection to the actions of mankind.â€ť5 This is a lie.6
Confirming Scott Pruitt as EPA administrator would likely lead to the dismantling of more than four decades of environmental and public health protections. Given the urgent need to reduce fossil fuel emissions and slow climate change before we reach a dangerous tipping point, Trumpâ€™s appointment of Pruitt to run the EPA represents an existential threat to people and the planet.7 Senate Democrats must stand strong and do everything in their power to stop Pruitt from being confirmed.
Tell Senate Democrats: Donâ€™t let a climate denier run the EPA. Block Scott Pruittâ€™s confirmation. Click the link below to sign the petition:
Thanks for everything you do.
Josh Nelson, Deputy Political Director
Add your name:
- Chris Mooney, Brady Dennis and Steven Mufson, "," The Washington Post, Dec. 8, 2016.
- Ziva Branstetter, "," Tulsa World, Dec. 9, 2016.
- Eric Lipton, "," The New York Times, Dec. 6, 2014.
- Alex Guillen and Andrew Restuccia, "," POLITICO, Dec. 7, 2016.
- Ryan Schleeter, "," Greenpeace, Dec. 7, 2016.
- "," NASA.
- David Roberts, "," Grist, Dec. 6, 2011.