Trump and right-wing Republicans have escalated their war on women. One of Trumpâ€™s first acts as president was to restrict access to abortion, and now a bill that will outlaw abortion nationwide is moving through Congress.
Trump and Penceâ€™s misogyny have given license to right-wing extremists like Iowa Rep. Steve King, who days before the inauguration, introduced H.R. 490, a bill that would make abortion illegal when a fetal heartbeat is detected. Since this can be as early as six weeks into the pregnancy, long before most women even know they are pregnant, it would essentially serve as a total ban on abortion.1
Republicans are playing a dangerous game with womenâ€™s lives. We have to push back now. We must show thereâ€™s not only massive opposition to this abortion ban, but to Republicansâ€™ entire extremist anti-women agenda. Can you add your voice today?
Kingâ€™s H.R. 490 is just the latest in a long line of extreme Republican-led attacks on womenâ€™s health and rights that started right after election day.
- Itâ€™s clear that Republicans in Congress are taking a page out of Ohio Gov. John Kasichâ€™s playbook by backing H.R. 490. Earlier this year, the Ohio legislature advanced a similar unconstitutional six-week abortion ban that Gov. Kasich rejected to soften the ground for a 20-week abortion ban that he later signed into law.2
- Paul Ryan announced Republicans would defund Planned Parenthood as part of the Affordable Care Act repeal process. That process has already begun.
- Trump plans to cut funding for important federal programs that prevent violence against women in his â€śskinny budget."
- Trump just signed an executive order to reinstate the â€śglobal gag rule,â€ť a policy that prevents family planning foreign aid from funding organizations that inform women about abortion. The â€śglobal gag ruleâ€ť not only cuts off womenâ€™s access to safe abortion, but also to family planning services and HIV/AIDS prevention.3
While we can't stop Trump from issuing executive orders, we can certainly stop Republicans from passing anti-choice legislation if Democrats hold the line.
The day after the inauguration, millions of people across the country marched to protect womenâ€™s rights and gender equality and send a powerful message of resistance against Trumpâ€™s regime of misogyny and hate. We must stand together again now to show Republicans that we we wonâ€™t back down and make sure Democrats know that weâ€™re counting on them to form a firm line of defense against Trumpâ€™s right-wing, anti-women regime.
Add your name to help us send Congress a clear message: Stop playing politics with womenâ€™s lives. Click the link below to sign the petition.
Thank you for speaking out,
Nicole Regalado, Campaign Manager
Add your name:
- Gabriella Paiella, New York Magazine, Jan. 13, 2017.
- Terra Culp-Ressler, ThinkProgress, Jan. 23, 2017.
Â© 2017 CREDO. All rights reserved.
This email was sent to xxx.
To change your email or mailing address, please click here:
To unsubscribe, please visit our subscription management page at: