The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has built the blueprint for Trump‚Äôs mass deportations. Gov. Snyder must do everything in his power to disrupt their plans.
DHS just released memos that turn Trump‚Äôs anti-immigrant executive orders into policy. The memos empower federal immigration officers to target almost every undocumented immigrant for detention and immediate deportation, expand Trump‚Äôs deportation army by 10,000 agents and encourage local law enforcement to collaborate with federal immigration officers.1
Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is already terrorizing immigrant communities.2 With these new policies, DHS is unleashing and emboldening a dangerous, unaccountable deportation force. States have the power to slow them down. Speak out now to demand that Gov. Snyder take bold action.
ICE is a terrifying rogue agency. For much of the last eight years, ICE agents flouted Obama administration enforcement priorities. Now the Trump administration is giving ICE sweeping permission to harass and attack all undocumented immigrants at will.
In recent days, ICE agents have arrested and detained:
- a Chicago father whose criminal record only includes traffic violations;3
- a woman at a Texas hospital undergoing treatment for a brain tumor;4
- men leaving a church‚Äôs overnight hypothermia shelter in Alexandria, Virginia;5 and
- a transgender woman who was obtaining a restraining order against a violent partner at an El Paso, Texas courthouse.6
Even though the DHS memos protect the legal status of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients, ICE arrested and detained DACA recipient Daniel Ramirez Medina in Seattle.7 This is not normal. This is not okay.
Fortunately, some state leaders are already standing up to protect immigrants. For example, Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee have barred state agencies from cooperating with and aiding federal immigration enforcement.8 California state lawmakers are pushing an omnibus immigration bill through the legislature that would ban state resources from being used to enforce federal immigration laws.
Gov. Snyder has a choice: Enable Trump‚Äôs agenda of criminalization and deportations, or resist and obstruct Trump‚Äôs racist regime at every turn. Help make sure Gov. Snyder does the right thing. Add your name now.
Tell Gov. Snyder: Protect immigrants in Michigan. Refuse to comply with DHS‚Äô racist anti-immigrant policies. Click the link below to sign the petition.
Thank you for speaking out,
Nicole Regalado, Campaign Manager
Add your name:
- Tal Kopan, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ CNN, Feb. 22, 2017.
- Vivian Yee, ‚Äú,‚Äô‚ÄĚ The New York Times, Feb. 22, 2017.
- Arelis R. Hernandez, Wesley Lowery and Abigail Hauslohner, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ The Washington Post, Feb. 16, 2017.
- Chris Sommerfeldt, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ New York Daily News, Feb. 214, 2017.
- The Associated Press, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ Washington‚Äôs Top News, Feb. 17, 2017.
- Jonathan Blitzer, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ The New Yorker, Feb. 23, 2017.
- Sydney Brownstone, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ The Stranger, Feb. 16, 2017.
- Reid Wilson, ‚Äú,‚ÄĚ The Hill, Feb. 23, 2017.