Weekly Report from Washington, D.C.

Senator Ron Johnson
2013-01-04 14:00:20
If you are having trouble viewing this E-newsletter, please visit [ronjohnson.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm for the Web Version. Ron Johnson-United States Senator for Wisconsin Johnson Comments on Fiscal Cliff Vote Although I strongly prefer extension of current tax rates for all Americans, I supported the compromise bill that protects 99% of Wisconsinites from an income tax increase, limits the death tax, and prevents a dramatic increase in milk prices. It is by no means a perfect piece of legislation. The revenue raised by this legislation will equal approximately 7% of projected deficits. It is now time for President Obama and his Democrat colleagues to show the American public their plan to close the other 93% of the deficit. Our nation�s debt now stands at $16.4 trillion, and has reached its statutory limit. We blew through the $2.1 trillion increase in the debt ceiling granted in August 2011 in only 17 months. This is clearly unsustainable, and President Obama must begin to work with Congress to reduce the size, scope, and cost of government. We are mortgaging our children�s future. This is immoral and it must stop. Johnson Calls for Spending Reductions President Obama got what he demanded, a tax increase on the job-creating sector of America�s economy � the rich.� It will harm economic growth, hinder new job creation and, at most, reduce our annual deficit by about 5%. President Obama then left town with 95% of the deficits still unresolved. Treasury Secretary Geithner issued a statement on December 31st that the nation had already gone over the debt ceiling cliff - $16.4 trillion. President Obama blew through the most recent $2.1 trillion debt ceiling in only 17 months. This fiscal path is clearly unsustainable. Now is not the time to declare victory and go on vacation. Now it is time for President Obama and Democrats in the Senate to show the American people their plans to save Social Security and Medicare, and to address the remaining 95% of our annual deficit which is projected to exceed $1 trillion for the fifth year in a row. This U.S. Senator will not vote to increase the debt unless serious spending reductions are part of the package. President Obama and Harry Reid got their tax increase. Where is their so-called balance? Where is their spending reduction plan? The clock is ticking towards a debt ceiling bubble that will explode in just a few weeks. Johnson Joins Baldwin for Swearing In Yesterday I joined Senator Tammy Baldwin as she was sworn-in to the United States Senate. It was my honor to join Senator Baldwin as she was sworn in to�the United States Senate. I look forward to working with her on the issues and challenges so important to the people of Wisconsin and the nation. Johnson, Baldwin Bet on Packers-Vikings Game Tammy Baldwin�and I�announced a friendly wager with Senators Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar (MN) on the outcome of this Saturday�s Packers-Vikings playoff game. Wisconsin is known for its fine cheeses and other dairy products, but our state produces many great beers as well. Senator Baldwin and I are proud to offer a selection of microbrews and traditional labels against the best that Minnesota has to offer. This has been an exciting week,� Baldwin commented, �but it�s only going to get better when the Packers beat the Vikings and put an end to this trash talking from my Minnesota colleagues. Johnson Committee Assignments for 113th Congress The Senate Republican Conference announced Committee assignments for Republican Senators for the 113th Congress yesterday. I will be �serving on the following committees: Committee on the Budget Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee on Foreign Relations Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship I have always said that the excessive size, scope, and cost of government is bankrupting our country and hurting economic growth. I�m pleased that my committee assignments over the next two years will enable me to focus on reining in Washington overreach � as well as advancing America�s economic and security interests abroad. Senator Johnson Announces Staff Mobile Office Hours I announced earlier this week that my staff would be available for mobile office hours at the dates and locations listed below. These office hours allow constituents to meet�with my�staff to request assistance with a federal agency or regarding other federal matters. Monday, January 7th, 9:00 am - 10:00 am Ogdensburg Village Hall 407 Main Street, Ogdensburg, WI 54962 Monday, January 7th, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm Amherst Village Hall 160 Mill Street, Amherst, WI 54406 Thursday, January 10th, 10:30 am - 11:30 am Wabeno Town Hall 4473 North Branch Street, Wabeno, WI 54566 Website: ronjohnson.senate.gov Unsubscribe: ronjohnson.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm Privacy: ronjohnson.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/privacy-policy
January 04, 2013

Johnson Comments on Fiscal Cliff Vote

Although I strongly prefer extension of current tax rates for all Americans, I supported the compromise bill that protects 99% of Wisconsinites from an income tax increase, limits the death tax, and prevents a dramatic increase in milk prices. It is by no means a perfect piece of legislation.

The revenue raised by this legislation will equal approximately 7% of projected deficits. It is now time for President Obama and his Democrat colleagues to show the American public their plan to close the other 93% of the deficit.

Our nation's debt now stands at $16.4 trillion, and has reached its statutory limit. We blew through the $2.1 trillion increase in the debt ceiling granted in August 2011 in only 17 months. This is clearly unsustainable, and President Obama must begin to work with Congress to reduce the size, scope, and cost of government.

We are mortgaging our children's future. This is immoral and it must stop.

Johnson Calls for Spending Reductions

President Obama got what he demanded, a tax increase on the job-creating sector of America's economy – ‘the rich.’ It will harm economic growth, hinder new job creation and, at most, reduce our annual deficit by about 5%.

President Obama then left town with 95% of the deficits still unresolved. Treasury Secretary Geithner issued a statement on December 31st that the nation had already gone over the debt ceiling cliff - $16.4 trillion. President Obama blew through the most recent $2.1 trillion debt ceiling in only 17 months. This fiscal path is clearly unsustainable.

Now is not the time to declare victory and go on vacation. Now it is time for President Obama and Democrats in the Senate to show the American people their plans to save Social Security and Medicare, and to address the remaining 95% of our annual deficit which is projected to exceed $1 trillion for the fifth year in a row. This U.S. Senator will not vote to increase the debt unless serious spending reductions are part of the package.

President Obama and Harry Reid got their tax increase. Where is their so-called balance? Where is their spending reduction plan? The clock is ticking towards a debt ceiling bubble that will explode in just a few weeks.

Johnson Joins Baldwin for Swearing In

Yesterday I joined Senator Tammy Baldwin as she was sworn-in to the United States Senate.

It was my honor to join Senator Baldwin as she was sworn in to the United States Senate. I look forward to working with her on the issues and challenges so important to the people of Wisconsin and the nation.

Johnson, Baldwin Bet on Packers-Vikings Game

Tammy Baldwin and I announced a friendly wager with Senators Al Franken and Amy Klobuchar (MN) on the outcome of this Saturday’s Packers-Vikings playoff game.

Wisconsin is known for its fine cheeses and other dairy products, but our state produces many great beers as well. Senator Baldwin and I are proud to offer a selection of microbrews and traditional labels against the best that Minnesota has to offer.

"This has been an exciting week,” Baldwin commented, ”but it’s only going to get better when the Packers beat the Vikings and put an end to this trash talking from my Minnesota colleagues."

Johnson Committee Assignments for 113th Congress

The Senate Republican Conference announced Committee assignments for Republican Senators for the 113th Congress yesterday. I will be  serving on the following committees:

Committee on the Budget
Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation
Committee on Foreign Relations
Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship

I have always said that the excessive size, scope, and cost of government is bankrupting our country and hurting economic growth. I’m pleased that my committee assignments over the next two years will enable me to focus on reining in Washington overreach – as well as advancing America’s economic and security interests abroad.

Senator Johnson Announces Staff Mobile Office Hours

I announced earlier this week that my staff would be available for mobile office hours at the dates and locations listed below. These office hours allow constituents to meet with my staff to request assistance with a federal agency or regarding other federal matters.
 
Monday, January 7th, 9:00 am - 10:00 am
Ogdensburg Village Hall
407 Main Street, Ogdensburg, WI 54962
 
Monday, January 7th, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Amherst Village Hall
160 Mill Street, Amherst, WI 54406
 
Thursday, January 10th, 10:30 am - 11:30 am
Wabeno Town Hall
4473 North Branch Street, Wabeno, WI 54566
 

CONTACT INFORMATION

Washington, D.C. Office
386 Russell Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
(202) 224-5323
Oshkosh Office
219 Washington Avenue
Suite 100
Oshkosh, WI 54901
(920) 230-7250
Milwaukee Office
517 E. Wisconsin Avenue
Suite 408
Milwaukee, WI 53202
(414) 276-7282