The year in speeches
Tomorrow night, President Donald J. Trump will address Americans in the first State of the Union address of his presidency. Heâ€™ll lay out the biggest milestones from his first year in officeâ€”tax reform, a budget that rebuilds the U.S. military, and so onâ€”before explaining his priorities for year two.
Before turning to the next chapter, today we revisit a few of the Presidentâ€™s most important addresses from his first year. There are plenty to choose from, but a few quotes stand out:
- â€śNow we are calling for a great reawakening of nations, for the revival of their spirits, their pride, their people, and their patriotism.â€ť
- â€śI declare today for the world to hear that the West will never, ever be broken. Our values will prevail, our people will thrive, and our civilization will triumph.â€ť
- â€śI have determined that it is time to officially recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.â€ť
POLL: Majority of Americans agree with the President on immigration
As the White House released its framework on immigration reform and border security last week, a recent Harvard-Harris Poll confirms that President Trumpâ€™s approach resonates with a majority of Americans.
Saagar Enjeti of The Daily Caller delivers the sentence that Congress should be paying close attention to in the weeks ahead:
â€śThe poll, weighted to be broadly representative of the U.S. population, found that 65% of voters overall agreed with Trumpâ€™s position that any bill codifying Obama-era protections for illegal immigrants brought to the U.S. as children should be accompanied by funding for a wall, ending chain migration, and ending the diversity visa lottery program.â€ť
Enjeti continues that â€śthe individual elements of each of Trumpâ€™s demands remain broadly popular as well.â€ť
More jobs, more opportunity, more growth
A little more than one year after President Trump took office, the U.S. economy continues to soar to new heights. During the past week, for instance, American workers, businesses, and families have all witnessed headlines that show the American economy is back:
- MARKETWATCH: S&P 500 Breaks 54-Year-Old Record For All-Time Highs Notched In January
- CNBC: The Dowâ€™s 31% Gain During Trumpâ€™s First Year Is The Best Since FDR
- THE HILL: Poll: Satisfaction With Economy Reaches 17-Year High
- THE WALL STREET JOURNAL: The Tax Law, Just One Month Old, Is Roaring Through U.S. Companies
Photo of the Day
Marine One | January 25, 2018 (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)
This morning, President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence will participate in the swearing-in ceremony for the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services Alex Azar. The President will then have lunch with leaders from the United Nations Security Council.